China dismisses Turkish PM’s genocide remarks

China dismisses Turkish PM’s genocide remarks
Tuesday, July 14, 2009

ISTANBUL – Hürriyet Daily News
Chinese Foreign Ministry on Tuesday dismissed Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s remarks that genocide was being committed in China’s Muslim region of Xinjiang, where ethnic violence has left at least 184 dead

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said on Tuesday the accusation of genocide simply did not make sense.
Most people who died in the riots were Han and over the past few decades the Uighur population in Xinjiang had increased sharply, he added.
“In which country could this be called genocide?” Qin was quoted by Reuters as saying at a regular news briefing.
“We hope that our Muslim brothers can realize the truth of the July 5 incident in Urumqi. Once they know the truth, they would support our ethnic and religious policies and the measures the Chinese government has taken to deal with the incident,” he added.
Erdoğan, whose country shares ethnic and cultural bonds with the Turkic-speaking Uighurs, is the most vocal foreign leader to criticize China’s actions in Xinjiang. He said last week that “the incidents in China are, simply put, a genocide, and there’s no point in interpreting this otherwise.” He called on Chinese authorities to intervene to prevent more deaths.
The July 5 violence began when Uighurs protesting last month’s deaths of fellow factory workers in a brawl in southern China clashed with police. Crowds scattered throughout the city, attacking ethnic Han Chinese and burning cars.

Of the 184 reported killed, the government has said 137 were Han Chinese and 46 were Uighurs, along with one minority Hui Muslim. Uighurs say they believe many more from their ethnic group died in the government crackdown, in which more than 1,600 people were also wounded and 1,000 detained.
The Uighurs, who number 9 million in Xinjiang, have complained about an influx of Han Chinese and government restrictions on their Muslim religion. They accuse the Han of discrimination and the Communist Party of trying to erase their language and culture.

China’s state media hits out at Erdoğan
China’s state media also urged Erdoğan on Tuesday to recant his remarks regarding the incidents in Xinjiang.
In an editorial headlined “Don’t twist facts,” the English-language China Daily said Erdoğan’s description of the violence that has blighted the remote northwest region “as ‘a kind of genocide’ is an irresponsible and groundless accusation.”
“The fact that 137 of the 184 persons killed in the riots are Han Chinese speaks volumes for the nature of the event,” the paper added.
The China Daily said the Turkish prime minister’s remarks constituted “interference in China’s internal affairs” and they are the “last thing the Uygur and Han Chinese would find helpful when they are looking forward to lasting peace.”
“Chinese leaders are the last people who want to see happenings like these in the largest ethnic autonomous region,” it added.
Erdoğan had earlier said Turkey would grant a visa to exiled Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer, who is based in the United States. Kadeer told Turkish television that Turkish authorities had twice denied her visa application to visit the country. China has blamed the ethnic unrest on exiled Uighur separatists, especially Kadeer, who denies the charge.
The Chinese violence has sparked almost daily protests in Turkey, mostly outside heavily guarded Chinese diplomatic missions in Istanbul and Ankara.
Turkish Industry Minister Nihat Ergun has called on Turks to stop buying Chinese goods although the government itself has no plans for an official boycott.
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has called his Chinese counterpart Yang Jiechi and conveyed Turkey’s concerns. The Chinese foreign minister told Davutoğlu over the phone on Sunday that the Urumqi riots were a grave crime orchestrated by the “three evil forces,” state news agency Xinhua said, referring to “extremism, separatism and terrorism.”

“For Educational purposes only”

Op: The Turks can whine, but, Xinjiang will eternally be Chinese, No Turk-Mongol, or so-called Human Rights activists or CIA-State Department funded false flag Op can ever dislodge this integral part of China

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: